Friday, May 20, 2011

Rainy Day

     This morning Oliver and I wanted to ride the apartment shuttle with Daddy since it would be the last time it would run till next fall, and Oliver just had a blast. Before our shuttle ride, Weston and I were trying to get ready to get out the door in time to make the shuttle. Though we were able to get breakfast into our bellies and get dressed in record time, for us at least, I forgot the stroller for Oliver and an umbrella and I forgot to put snacks into my bag to take with me. I'm sure you can imagine after dropping daddy off to his building it took a long time to get home ( we live on 47th and Pine and we got dropped off at 36th and Spruce, its a long walk, trust me) We did pretty good at first; played with some steps, balancing on some bricks that lined a plant bed, went to the bookstore and read some books. We even saw some awesome construction machinery that Oliver could have watched all day.      
       By this time Oliver was getting tired and our little jaunt was done within a two to three block range.  I just knew that I would be carrying him most of the way on our way home. We walked a little bit further and had it not rained I would have made him walk most of the way but we were getting wet and Oliver didn't particularly enjoy it and we were going extremely slow. So I carried him.  The rain wasn't too bad, but it was one of those steady trickles of rain that can still get you nice and wet after a long walk plus there was a cool breeze that made it seem cooler than it was. Luckily, I remembered Oliver's jacket so he was covered a little. Our journey home was tiring and Oliver seemed to be getting heavier and heavier and the rain made my shirt feel uncomfortable. I then passed an Indian lady and she told me that I needed to take care of Oliver or else he would get sick. By this point I had already decided to take a stop at a CVS pharmacy to buy an umbrella since it was on the way home. I told her I was going to stop at the store and she told me to take her umbrella to cover my little boy and she would walk with me there. I nearly cried. It was so nice. Her apartment complex was right next to CVS so when we got there she said that she would just give me her extra umbrella from home because the umbrellas were too expensive. Heavenly Father was really looking out for me today and I thank him for helping me and sending someone my way to help. I am grateful for that woman and her willingness to share her umbrella and to give me something that I didn't even ask for. I know it was a small thing but it was very kind and I thought that it would be nice to share.

     There are people out in the world with big hearts who are willing to help others and at times I admit, I forget that. Sometimes I get caught up with what's wrong with the world that I forget that there is still so much good. I'm grateful for the reminder and I hope that I can be one of those people that are willing to get out of their way to help someone in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment